1. PhD fellowships
ICGEB offers postgraduate studies with the aim of obtaining the “Doctor Philosophiae” (PhD) degree in the life sciences. Thanks to specific agreements, the title can be awarded through a number of academic institutions of international standing, which include The Open University (UK) and the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA) in Trieste, Italy, the Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi and the University of Cape Town in South Africa.
The structure of the three-year PhD course includes intensive laboratory research activities, participation in seminars and communication training during Journal Club sessions, symposia and international meetings.
Closing Date for Applications: 31 MARCH 2019
2. Postdoctoral fellowships
ICGEB offers competitive Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Life Sciences to highly motivated scientists wishing to pursue postdoctoral research in a world-class scientific environment.
The Fellowships consist of a very competitive package including stipend, health insurance and additional benefits.
The most successful fellows will also be eligible to apply for ICGEB Early Career Research Grants to support their own research programmes as young PIs upon return to an ICGEB Member State.
Closing Dates for Applications: 31 MARCH and 30 SEPTEMBER 2019
3. Short-term fellowships
Short-term fellowships can be awarded, as follows:
In ICGEB Laboratories
ICGEB offers Short-term fellowships for Pre-doctoral and Postdoctoral studies in ICGEB Component laboratories to fund ongoing collaborative research between scientists from ICGEB Member States and research groups at ICGEB laboratories in Trieste, Italy, New Delhi, India and Cape Town, South Africa, with the aim of facilitating access to the latest research techniques and to strengthen capacity building.
In Member States: Scientific Mobility for Advanced Research Training (SMART)
The ICGEB SMART Fellowship programme promotes the mobility of researchers between ICGEB Member States as a way of enhancing skill development, acquisition of specific hands-on training in new technologies and increasing bilateral cooperation in science and technology, and should show clear evidence of strong collaboration between the two laboratories.
NEW Closing Dates for Applications: 31 DECEMBER 2018, 31 MARCH 2019, 30 SEPTEMBER 2019
- The call is open to nationals of ICGEB Member States and provides fellowships to scientists in the early stage of their career wishing to spend between 3 and 9 months at a research institution in an ICGEB Member State other than their own.
- Fellowships for mobility support to laboratories located in Italy, India and South Africa can be considered if the research activity proposed is not covered by one of the ICGEB laboratories (please see ICGEB Arturo Falaschi Short-term fellowships).
- There is no age limit. However, preference is given to young scientists at the beginning of their research career.
- Applicants should be either registered for a PhD or have obtained their PhD degree within the last 5 years. Young scientists holding an MSc or equivalent can apply.
- SMART Fellowships support mobility between laboratories located in Member States.
Awards are not intended to prolong visits begun under other auspices; to support participation in courses, workshops or symposia or as bridging fellowships between, or prior to, long term stays funded by ICGEB or other organizations.