The Nordic Climate Facility (NCF) is a challenge fund set up in 2009 to finance early stage climate change projects in developing countries. NCF aims to build a portfolio of innovative business concepts which have been tested, proved viable and are ready to be scaled-up and replicated.
NCF is financed and managed by the Nordic Development Fund (NDF). The first four calls for proposals of NCF were administered by NEFCO.
What is NCF?
- NCF finances innovative climate change projects in developing countries.
- Strong project ideas can receive a grant between EUR 250,000 and 500,000.
- Financing is allocated on a competitive basis with thematic calls for proposals arranged annually.
- Selected projects should contribute to the fulfilment of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
NCF can finance projects in the following 21 countries:
Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia
Asia: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Vietnam
Latin America: Bolivia, Honduras and Nicaragua
What we offer
- Risk-sharing for testing innovative climate solutions in a developing country
- Project co-financing through grants between EUR 250,000 and 500,000
- Annual calls for proposals with a streamlined, two-phased application process
What we finance
- Projects that tackle climate change and promote sustainable development
- Testing of the viability of business concepts (financial, technical, social and environmental
- Partnerships between public and private organisations; at least one should be Nordic
Who is eligible to apply?
Eligible applicants must be registered legal entities, such as:
- For-profit companies and organisations;
- Non-profit organisations and social entreprises;
- Civil society organisations (CSOs); and
- Research institutes and universities.
Projects should be implemented through partnerships between Nordic and local partners in an eligible NCF country. In addition, the project partnership may entail other partners.
All project partners shall have a meaningful role in the implementation of the project.