SSATP with the support of the African Union Commission (AUC), United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), European Union (EU), World Bank Group (WBG) and the Global Road Safety Facility (GRSF), with funding from UKAid, are launching the African Road Safety Observatory's #Roads4Life Storytelling Contest to identify road safety champions who are working to make Africa’s roads safer.
Its primary purpose is to change Africa’s road safety narrative by highlighting inspirational and transformational initiatives that showcase at least one of these topics:
- Innovations for road safety, such as data-driven interventions that are working to improve road safety in African communities
- Personal stories of taking a stand to address day-to-day road safety issues, including existing road safety challenges and concrete demands to address them
- Road safety leadership in countries and communities, such as successful communication campaigns, education and training programs
Accepted submission formats for the #Roads4Life Storytelling Contest include:
- Written story
- Comic strip
- Short video
- Submission Details: To participate, complete the online contest registration form. Submissions must present "original” work as defined by copyright law. Only one submission per entrant will be allowed.
- Submission Deadline: August 31, 2019. Late submissions will be disqualified automatically.
- Language: All entries must be in English or French.
- Eligibility: Any person aged 18 and over, living in Africa can take part in the contest.
- Submission requirements for each format type:
- Video: Must be max 5 minutes in length. Participant must upload an embeddable, publicly viewable video to YouTube and include the link to the video on the contest registration form.
- Written Story: Must be less than 2,000 words and include at least one original photo to accompany the story. Participant must use Google Docs and get a sharable link so anyone with the link can view the entry. Include the shareable link to the story on the contest registration form.
- Comic Story: Must be less than 5 pages in length. Illustrations can be in color or black-and-white. Participant must upload the comic story as a PDF file on Google Drive and get a shareable link so anyone with the link can view the entry. Include the shareable link to the story on the contest registration form.