The Mahathir Science Award (MSA) is established to be Malaysia’s most prestigious international Science Award for tropical sciences, administered by the Mahathir Science Award Foundation (MSAF). It was launched in honour of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad on 17th August, 2004, by the man himself. The winner/laureate will receive USD 100,000.00, a gold medallion, and a certificate
There are four categories of the award:
- Tropical Agriculture
- Tropical Architecture & Engineering
- Tropical Medicine
- Tropical Natural Resources
This award bestowed on any scientists, institution or organization worldwide in recognition of contributions and innovations towards solving problems in the tropics through science and technology and to be awarded to the most deserving based on merit.
The selection of candidates is based on the originality of each candidate’s achievements, the impact of candidate’s achievements, including future impact and its significance in solving the problems of the tropics by improving the quality of life and contributing to the region’s prosperity.
- Significant research & studies contributing to new knowledge in solving problems in tropics
- Demonstrable evidence of significant socio and societal impact
- Contribution to policy and governance leading to sustainable improvement to quality of life
- National, regional and international recognition (to consider whether same work nominated has been previously awarded)
- H-index or equivalen
Any individual or organisation can nominate for the award. However, this individual or organisation cannot self-nominate themselves.