The International Committee of the Red Cross is proud to organize for the third time a writing competition in Arabic to engage the Arabic speaking scholars on relevant IHL discussions and to provide an academic platform for legal debates
The year 2019 marks the 70th anniversary of the four Geneva Conventions (GCs) of 1949. Today, the universally-ratified GCs represents one of the greatest achievements of inter-state cooperation.
Through the four GCs, protections are provided for wounded and sick soldiers/civilians on land and at sea, prisoners of war and civilians. In addition, a major achievement in 1949 was the inclusion of common Article 3 to all four Conventions, which provides protection to the victims of conflicts of a non-international character. The article could tackle one of the following topics:
- An overview of the four GCs: Have they become outdated?
- The relevance/sufficiency of common Article 3 to regulate non-international armed conflicts
- How and why are non-state armed groups to engage in and be bound by the IHL
- The success and/or failures of the GCs to humanize contemporary armed conflicts
- The effectiveness of the GCs Implementation mechanisms
- The contemporary challenges facing GCs in today wars
The ICRC has the honor to offer 3 levels of awards:
- The First place winner will receive a certificate and 1500 USD. In addition, the article will be considered for publication by the ICRC.
- The second place winner will receive Certificate and 1000 USD
- The third place winner will receive Certificate and 750 USD